Unity Baptist Church has been a witness for Jesus Christ in the Unity Community since 1950. The Lord impressed upon the hearts of Mr. Grady Boggs and Mr. Glee Rutherford to begin having church services in the Unity School. For the organizational meeting, these men were joined by 10 other charter members. They were Mrs. Fannie Beavers, Mrs. Edith Beavers Bennett, Mrs. Blonde Moore Mercer, Mrs. Ruby Beavers Bridges, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Robbins, Mrs. Beatrice Moore Brown, Mrs. Grady Boggs, Elouise Barkley and Ed Beavers. Bro. Spurgeon Mullikin served as the first pastor of Unity Baptist Church. The first deacons of the church were Mr. Grady Boggs and Mr. Leroy Moore.
An old one room school house was used as the church until 1956. The school was then closed and the building was sold and moved. At that time, a sanctuary and three Sunday school rooms were built on government land and electricity was first obtained. In 1964, another sanctuary was built and the previous one was made into Sunday school rooms.
In 1973, land was purchased from Mrs. W.H. Jackson for a new church site. The Sunday school rooms had been moved to the new site when the sanctuary burned on June 4, 1975. A new sanctuary had been started and the first service in it was on June 8, 1975, using lawn chairs. A fellowship hall was built in 1977 and a cemetery was started. Serving as pastors through the years at Unity are as follows:
Bro. Spurgeon Mullikin 1950-1954
Bro. Dabney Box 1954-1956
Bro. Lanthan Bray 1956-1958
Bro. Durrel Edwards 1958-1960
Bro. Joe Epting 1960-1963
Bro. Hugh White 1963-1965
Bro. Doug Shelton 1966-1966
Bro. Jim Lindsey 1966-1966
Bro. Danny McAlister 1966-1967
Bro. George Bolden 1967-1973
Bro. Hyman Hatcher 1973-1977
Bro. Earl Rush 1977-1978
Bro. Ronnie Barefield 1978 - Current
In July, 1978 Bro. Ronnie Barefield was called as pastor. A pastorium was built in 1979 on land donated by Mr. Buford Glissen. Bro Ronnie and his family moved into the newly built parsonage in February, 1979.
More Sunday school rooms and a pastor's study were added in 1981. Since that time, a family life center was also built.
In 2002, plans were made and a new sanctuary was erected adjacent to the old sanctuary. The new building is capable of holding over 3 times as many people as the old one.